Sunday 21 August 2011

Frat House/Party

I walked over to the health centre today to sort out my health insurance waiver and i also need to get a TB injection but it was closed because it's a Saturday. On my walk back i took a few photos. There are American flags everywhere, very patriotic.



This is the building i'm staying in, it's called Hawkins Hall and my window is actually in this photograph, i think it's either the second or third from the top on the far left side. It's a huge building and we are in the "west wing".


Right next door to our building is a Frat House. It's called Phi Delta Theta and there are loads of frat and sorority houses on campus (i've seen about 3/4 so far) and apparently there is a road which is completely full of them. I asked my roomate Heather what exactly they are (because i've seen them on tv/films but i wanted to know the purpose) and i think it's basically all about the exclusivity. There is apparently a frat for farmers haha.


I also went to my first American party tonight. Sort of. My roomate Heather had a friend who was turning 21, i think her name was Loryn (there were so many people, i can't really remember names!) and it was annoyingly humid outside again which meant that i was already melting by the time i got there (can't wait till it cools down!) Then a girl picked us up in her car (i forgot her name, but she was really nice) and took us to an irish bar/restaurant place and we all ate food. I ordered a chicken, salad sandwhich which i assumed would be grilled chicken in a sandwhich/bun but it was this weird chicken mayo and sultana stuff in a bun that literally looked like a croissant lol it was so odd. It was ok though. Me, Heather and the girl who drove us all got Strongbow which actually tasted so much weaker than it does back home.

Once we left the restaurant we went back to their house to drink (no red cups i'm afraid!). I think i came across quite quiet, i couldn't really help it though because they had all known eachother since they were freshman so a lot of the time i was like what the hell are you all talking about lol. Anyway, we were going on to a bar but it started raining and there was thunder and lightening so i decided to come back to my dorm. Everyone was nice but i think it will be better when i make my own friends, which will hopefully happen on Monday when class starts.

I have to say i actually really wish i had my own room too. It was quite nice at first but i really do regret sharing. Oh well, i'm off to bed.

xxx


0 comments:

Post a Comment