Thursday 18 August 2011

First Day On Campus

Today was a good day. It is SO hot and humid here and a lot of the buildings aren't air conditioned or if they are, the air con isn't on which is annoying. But it's nice to be in the sunshine!

I woke up at about 6am because i thought my foreign exchange student orientation was at 8am (it was actually at 8.45) and i also wanted to leave plenty of time to get to the building (it was actually just across the street) so i had about 7 hours sleep after my really long day. My straighteners didn't work (the world almost ended right there and then!) because of the voltage difference which meant my hair made a nice first impression haha. Orientation was quite boring, they basically explained what we need to do in order to keep our visas, health insurance etc. Then i had to queue in a line for about an hour to get my Purdue I.D. card. The woman at the desk was so hilarious, she loved my accent and told me to come back any time i wanted a chat!
my I.D. - vom!


I hadn't eaten since lunch time on the plane so i went to look for a supermarket or grocery store but they are literally all fast food/restaurants which is annoying. I went into a shop which sold clothes with Purdue University on the front and i bought a t-shirt. It was only $7.99 and it is so nice to wear something like that on such a hot day. 

 

Reppin my uni haha
They had some really cool stuff in there, i also bought a keyring because i have 2 front door keys so i thought that would be handy. By this point i was looking for somewhere to buy food/drink and i just walked into a random diner place and bought a cup like this for 66 cents and i could refill as many times as i liked as long as i didn't leave the shop. They had every fizzy drink you could think of and you just pump it out yourself but no water haha. EVERYONE on campus drinks out of these or starbucks cups, i've rarely seen people drink out of bottles. 

Huge drink!

I couldn't find any supermarkets and it was really hot so i went back up to my room at about 12.30pm and had a two hour nap. This is a pic i took walking back to my Halls which is just a bit futhur up the road on the left. I love this pic because it shows how American it looks here! (you know what i mean when i say that haha)

I think it's called State St.

 When i woke up i wanted to go to shopping so got onto the bus and went to Walmart aka the most amazing shop ever!!!!  I bought so many things like clothes hangers, pillow, straighteners, food, cups, plates, cutlery etc that i spent $80 and had to drag it all back onto the bus. Thank goodness the buses are air conditioned! I appreciate it now! The funniest thing about the buses is that people who have bikes actually hook them onto the front of the bus.

pic from google

By the time i got back to my room it was about 7pm (because i got off at the wrong place and had to wait for another bus to come!) I bought some ranch dressing and it is literally the best thing ever invented. I also bought Snack Packs just because of Billy Madison ("You know I like Snack Pack. Why can't you just give me a Snack Pack?" "I thought i was your Snack Pack" hahahaha)



I finally sorted my room/clothes out so i'm off to bed!

xxx

3 comments:

geo said...

I love how american it looks! Loool at buying snack packs (louise and ella would be proud). Go on skype at 4pm again today.

What floor are you on btw? Did they have lifts in the end? Xxx

Cat said...

i'm on floor 8 and there are lifts thank goodness!

Jamie Dennis said...

your idea of heaven having massive drinks and free refills. Ive always wanted to be one of those people who walks around campus with a starbucks coffee cup looking important. please can u do it to fulfill my dream for me please xxx

Post a Comment