Wednesday 17 August 2011

The Eagle Has Landed

Finally made it to my uni (thank god!) it only took a mere 18 hours from start to finish! I can't believe i am up writing this now, it's 10.30pm (so 3.30am really cos i'm still on uk time) and i'm not tired anymore. I'll just explain a bit about the disaster that was today...

Today was the definition of a FML day! I woke up at 3am and my dad picked me up at about 4 to go to Heathrow. Firstly we parked at the wrong terminal car park haha little did i know it was a sign of things to come! When i eventually got to the front of the queue at check in, my suitcase weighed 27 kilos (i was only allowed 23) so i had to unpack my suitcase, take some stuff out and put it in a new rucksack that my dad ran off to buy meaning i had 2 bulky bits of hand luggage! Annoying! I said goodbye to my Dad and Louise (i almost cried, but didn't). 

Farewell with the sis

I think at this point it was 7am and my flight was at 7.55am so i had to go through security where they singled me out (as per usual) for the pat down (haha that always reminds me of bob bob jumping into a star position as soon as she walked through the metal detector). ANYWAY, i was running so late but luckily i made friends with a girl who was going to Illinois uni and we were on the same flight and she got a man in one of those golf cart thingys to drive us to the terminal! Result!

The whole way there i was praying that i didn't have the middle seat but i did end up in the middle seat! Not only that it was in between two men and the one sitting in the isle seat was SO annoying and rude. The plane was delayed by half an hour but there were good movies, i watched Water for Elephants and Rio (no Jewel...) was also on which i didn't watch. There was also a really funny episode of 30 rock (the one with Jennifer Aniston). The food was really nice but the worst thing was the fact that i couldn't sleep because being in the middle seat was so awkward. I took this pic of me on the plane when everyone else was sleeping and it cracks me up because it's so dark and i look so creepy!

creepy cat
In the end i made friends with the man sitting by the window (i think his name was Anthony) who was told me about how he had just retired from the air force and he had just finished his last tour in Iraq. He was so nice! The flight (apart from the seating issue) actually went really well, there was only a bit of turbulence but i wasn't nervous at all. 

Then when i landed in Chicago it took me over an hour to get through customs and it was boiling hot too (queuing + heat = bad combo!) When i finally got through i had to collect my suitcase, re-check it in and then run to my terminal which had a huge queue for the security checks which i had to do again. Anyways to cut a long story short i missed my connecting flight to Indianapolis, so they sent me running (i use that term lightly because as if i would run) around the whole airport trying to get my flight re-booked. 


Waiting around in Chicago Airport


 I eventually got a later flight (thank goodness) which was actually not that great because there was a lot of turbulence and it was a very small aeroplane so it was very bumpy/scary. 

My new ticket to Indianapolis. I crossed some of the details out cos you never know what weirdos could be reading this!


Then i finally arrived in Indianapolis at 5.30pm (10.30pm your time)...


I was SO tired but i had to wait an hour for the bus which then took about an hour and a half to get us to uni. I love me a bit of air-con but the bus was FREEZING, and i never get cold so i sat there in my coat shivering and everyone else was wearing t-shirts and shorts. There was also a lady in front of me who had the funniest southern accent.

The campus is HUGE, literally can't describe how big everything is. Indiana looks exactly how i imagined it, there are long stretches of dry brown grass and then furthur into town it looks a lot like this...

I googled this pic btw cos i was too tired/getting hypothermia from the air-con so didn't take any pics myself.
Anyhoo, it's late so i'm off to bed! Orientation tomorrow eeeeeeeek. I'll also upload some pics of the campus (they should call it a town not a campus) and my room!

xxxx

4 comments:

cat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
geo said...

Hahaha "creepy cat". Is your room nice and big? Also did u manage to buy anything like food or sheets there? Xx

Cat said...

Yeah it's surprisingly big actually i'll put some photos up later! There is literally NO supermarkets or small shops that sell food! so basically since the lunch i ate on the plane all i've had is a special k bar lol boooo

louise said...

Darrrrrling y are u not admitting to collapsing sobbing to the ground at the thought of leaving me?? Well done on actuals getting there. Photos of campus please in nxt blog x

Post a Comment