Wednesday 24 August 2011

Classes Start

Classes started on Monday, i can't believe that was only a couple of days ago! I literally feel like i've been here forever and i've only been here just over a week. I'm quite shocked at how quickly i've settled in really. I get on well with Heather which is good, she's introduced me to amazing trash TV (Intervention and Hoarders - amazing shows!) 

Actually, first i should start off by saying i finally got my kitchen safety training on Sunday night (hooray for knowing that your head doesn't go inside an oven!) although i STILL haven't used the kitchen. We also had a floor meeting with our R.A. who is really nice and everyone (except one girl) was asian on our floor. We had to go around and say who we were, where we were from etc and everyone seemed really nice (and loved my accent haha). 

So anyway, classes started on Monday. I'm lucky because classes start as early as 7.30am and my earliest is at 10.30am. I am taking four subjects: Social Psychology, Neuroscience, Neuroscience: Sensation & Arousal, Advanced Statisitcs. My Monday/Wednesday/Friday classes are all the same, then my Tuesday/Thursday classes are all the same so my schedule is easy to remember. The classes are actually quite tough and there are 5 exams per subject, per semester (plus assignments and reading!) which is a bit of a shock to the system.
I've met a few nice people too so i have people to sit with in class. Heather and Trish (the girl who picked us up the other night and took us to the irish bar) are in my Neuroscience class aswell. Statistics is my least favourite, mainly because i hate maths and also there is only 6 of us in the class.

I also got caught in a rainstorm today, it was literally pouring down and everyone got soaked. So i did the only logical thing and decided to stand in the rain and wait for the bus to Walmart (i needed a kettle for my cup-o-soups etc.) By the way, the kettle was 30 friggin dollars (the last of my money!) Also, since i'm ranting about kettles, this was the only kettle available with a cord. The rest were kettles which you heat up on a stove and Heather said those were the ones most people use - what the hell is this...the middle ages!?

I also want to say i am loving Ranch dressing, mac & cheese and a drink called Mello Yello (aka all the unhealthy stuff!) I have also introduced a few of you to my new fave American song...SHOTS! hahaha. At the party the other night when everyone was drinking shots they played a song (appropriately named 'Shots' by LMFAO) and when the chorus played everyone went round one by one drinking their shot. I don't know why i found this so amusing but now it's my favourite song and will definitely become tradition when we are drinking back at Ewhurst!

Also quick side note: i am still unsure about whether to sign up for a trip to Lake Michigan on Sunday. It's $20-$25 and only for international students so i don't really want to hang around on my own, but then i really do want to explore the country as much as i can.

p.s. Sorry for lack of photos in this post.

xxx

3 comments:

geo said...

The song shots cracks me up! SHOTS!!

Your accent is your advantage, use it well xxxx

James said...

Making me miss America now :(

7.30 classes? bullet dodged there...

Cat said...

I know, i'm so happy i don't have class that early! I know i'll definitely miss living here when i'm home too!

Post a Comment